I had been married for one month on 9/11.
Here is what I remember:
- I was on my way to work when everything began to unravel. I spent the entire day in front of the office tv.
- I called my husband, who was teaching a class at the University of New Hampshire to ask if he had heard what was going on.
- He thought I was joking.
- My nieces birthday who was born 3 years later on 9/11
- Driving through Shanksville on the way to my parents house each time we went to visit.
- Experiencing the anniversary of 9/11 after we moved to the Washington, D.C. area was intense. There are so many raw emotions.
- Driving past the Pentagon whenever we went into the city and seeing the memorial, visible from the highway.
- Going to New York City and walking near the construction site for the 9/11 memorial.
- Capitol Hill hearings from the first responders who were literally dying while addressing House Members.
- That I will always remember because it is too important to forget.
What do you remember?